It’s no secret that finding viable candidates for a relationship takes work – especially if you’re a gay man.
At DatingAdvice.com, we recognize the complexities that come with dating. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the top six ways to meet gay men.
So whether you like to party it up at the club or prefer to keep it mellow, here are some tips, tricks and tactics to finding the man of your dreams.
1. Online dating.
You may think you have a knack for pointing out a gay man in the crowd, but why not make it easy on yourself and only go where gay men go?
Online dating sites like Zoosk.com take the guesswork out of it. By meeting a man on a gay dating site, you’re almost guaranteed he’s gay.
- Zoosk let’s you browse pictures of local singles, flirt online and chat with people you’d like to meet.
- Come up with a fun, quirky and memorable screen name to attract attention. Be somewhat abstract so a man will message you to find out the meaning behind it.
- A picture says a thousand words: Choose a recent, clear photo that places you in an environment you’re comfortable in.
- According to Match.com’s Happen Magazine, “Men who post their photos receive more than twice as many emails as those without photos.”
If you’re ready to start meeting quality men today, go to our review of 2013’s best gay dating sites.
2. Go to a gay bar/nightclub.
It might seem like advice your aunt or non-gay friend would give you, but going to gay bars and nightclubs is still a great way to meet men.
- Think about what you’re looking for before you get there. Do you want a dancing partner or a one-night stand?
- Bring friends – perusing the scene is way more fun with a few wingmen.
- Dress for success. First impressions matter. In a way, you’re marketing yourself when you go out to a bar or nightclub looking to hook up. That’s why you should always dress to impress. A pair of dark jeans and a button-down shirt will get the job done, while a tie, tuxedo or obscene amount of hair gel and/or cologne should be left at home.
- According to Match.com’s Happen Magazine, the best place for single people on the prowl is New York City (50 percent of state residents are unmarried) and Washington, D.C. (70 percent of the population is single). The worst places are Idaho (60 percent of people are married) and Utah (59 percent of people are married).
“There’s a good chance you’ll meet a
like-minded man when doing what you love.”
3. Join a group.
There are many groups that cater to or are associated with only gay men. If you’re in college or high school, then look into the Gay-Straight Alliance.
There are also a bunch of community centers and groups for the older crowd. Do some research on the Internet and meet up with like-minded men for social activities.
- If your dream guy is an actor, then join a local theater group.
- If you prefer sensitive guys, then volunteer at your area’s animal shelter or nursing home.
- Think about what it is you’re looking for and add it to your list of extracurricular activities.
- Check out Meetup.com for a list of gay meetings in your area. If you live in a big city, the lists are categorized based on likes.
- There’s even Campgayusa.com, a gay and gay-friendly RV group, if you’re interested in men who love the open road.
- Start your own group. If you live in a small town or just haven’t found a group that works for you, then start your own. Chances are there are other men who also haven’t been able to find what it is they’re looking for.
4. Your friends.
Who’s better to act as your cheerleaders than the people who actually choose to spend time with you? These people are called your friends and they are a great asset to meeting the man of your dreams.
- Tell everyone you know you’re interested and open to a relationship and have them put their thinking caps on for possible candidates. It might be a co-worker, friend at the gym or family member – just keep dating and being open to new experiences until you find “The One.”
- Always say “yes” to social outings. If a friend or family member suggests you go with them to a ballet, video game contest, beauty pageant or football game – go!
What do you have to lose? Getting yourself out there is a great way to meet someone.
5. Extracurricular activities.
An important question to ask is, “Where do I spend my free time?” These are the hours that are not spent at work or sleeping. These are the hours that you decide how they are spent.
- Do you love mountain biking? Then look for a community group for mountain bikers.
- Are you a fashion hound? Then attend fashion shows and other related events. There’s a good chance you’ll meet a fabulous, like-minded man when you’re doing what you love.
- Meetup.com is also great for finding groups for a particular hobby. It doesn’t necessarily have to be geared only to gay men. You never know when Enid in your painting group has an adorable grandson who happens to like men.
There are dozens of companies that cater specifically to organizing vacations for gay men.
- It’s up to you how you spend those accumulated vacation days – with 2,000 gay men on a ship cruising to the Bahamas or biking through vineyards in the French countryside. Either way, it’s a near foolproof way to meet a Mr. Right or Mr. Right Now.
- Check out Meetmeonboard.com for news and expert advice on gay cruises. The site offers everything from tips on cheap cruise fares to how to plan for a Panama Canal cruise.
- Other helpful sites include Atlantisevents.com, Gaycruisevacations.com and Rsvpvacations.com.
- If you prefer dry land, then check out Gaytravel.com. The site will help you navigate everywhere from Palm Springs, Calif., to Rio de Janeiro and beyond. Personally, we love the “Top 10’s” blog authored by various writers.
There’s no getting around it – meeting people is tough. That’s why we’ve constructed a list of the top six ways to meet gay men, including our number one pick – online dating.
So take a look at our reviews of the best gay dating sites. You’ll be glad you did.